Blog Archive

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Method for Truth

just as a state is much better governed when it has only a
 few laws that are strictly obeyed than when it has a
great many laws that can provide an excuse for vices,
so I thought that in place of the large number of rules
that make up logic I would findthe following four to
 be sufficient, provided that I made andkept to a
strong resolution always to obey them.
(1) The first was never to accept anything
as true if I didn’t have evident
knowledge of its truth: that is, carefully to avoid jumping
to conclusions and preserving old opinions, and to include
in my judgments only what presented itself to my mind so
vividly and so clearly that I had no basis for calling it in
question.
(2) The second ·was· to divide each of the difficulties I
examined into as many parts as possible and as might be
required in order to resolve them better.
(3) The third ·was· to direct my thoughts in an orderly
manner, by •starting with the simplest and most easily
known objects in order to move up gradually to knowledge
of the most complex, and •by stipulating some order even
among objects that have no natural order of precedence.
(4) And the last ·was· to make all my enumerations so
complete, and my reviews so comprehensive, that I could be
sure that I hadn’t overlooked anything.

Rene Descartes

No comments:

Post a Comment