Thursday, December 9, 2010

EXCHANGING DESIRES

Generally something mystical is seen in our view of

life and death. But there is nothing of the kind.

I like my garden, I like to read a book, I like to pet

my children. Dying, I am deprived of all this, and so I

do not want to die, and I am afraid of death.


It may happen that my whole life is composed of such
temporal, worldly desires and their gratification. If so, I

cannot help but fear that my desires will come to an end.

But if these desires and their gratification have been

changed in me, giving way to other desires,—to fulfil

God's will, to surrender myself to Him in the form in

which I am now and in all the possible forms in which I

may be, then, the more my desires have changed, the less

death is, not only terrible to me, but the less even does it

exist for me.

But if my desires will be completely changed, there is

nothing but life, and there is no death.

To exchange the worldly, the temporal, for the eternal,

this is the path of life, and we must walk on it.

Each of us knows how this is in his soul.
 
LEO TOLSTOY










No comments:

Post a Comment